Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Robbed From the Joy of Giving

This past weekend, as we drove home from Missouri, I started thinking about my brief experience at Best Buy as I ventured out on Black Friday.  All I wanted was a new flash drive to back up some important business files.  There were crowds of people in the store, but I didn’t notice any long checkout lines.  However, much to my surprise, the lines were formed against the side wall all the way across the store and wrapped all the way down & around as far as my eyes could see.  I was stunned as I looked at the people willing to stand and wait for that great deal they clutched tightly in their hands.  I looked at my flash drive, handed it to one of the workers and said, "I'm not standing in that line for this." And I walked out. 

Now let me clarify that I’m not a scrooge and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE giving gifts to other people; especially my family.    Money or credit cards aren’t the issue.  I can choose any time to go and spend money however & whenever I decide and I can also choose to rack up debt that will take me forever to pay off.  The thing that breaks my heart is what Christmas has come to represent; nothing but materialism.   And let’s not forget how outrageous people become over an item they want; even to the point of physically hurting others.  Seriously folks; is this what Christmas is all about?  When I look around and see so many hurting people; humbled by the life they live, while others with plenty continue to want more than what they can imagine, it robs my heart from the  joy of giving. 

We are reminded in Matthew 6:19-21 NLT “Don’t store up treasures here on earth, where moths eat them and rust destroys them, and where thieves break in and steal.  Store your treasures in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and thieves do not break in and steal. Wherever your treasure is, there the desires of your heart will also be.”

And so I ask –

Where are You, God, in all our plans?  Where is Your Son in this joyous celebration?  Have we really strayed that far away from You that we've forgotten the true reason we celebrate Christmas?  Oh, God, how You must feel robbed; robbed from the joy of giving us Your One and Only Son.  You sacrificed Your Son in order that we would be forgiven of our sins and live in eternity with You one day. 

Where are You, Jesus, in all our plans? Wasn’t it You that was born in a humble manager; You who walked the earth forgiving & healing others; You who were beaten & whipped beyond human recognition; You who were crucified on a cross and bore the sins of this world? Oh, Jesus, how You must feel robbed; robbed from the joy of giving us Your all so that we could be joint heirs with You.  Isn’t it Your birthday we are celebrating? 

Where are You, Holy Spirit, in all our plans? Are You just as grieved by what you see; grieved that we ignore Your direction; grieved that we turn a deaf ear to Your voice?  Oh, Holy Spirit, how You must feel robbed; robbed from the joy of giving us Your comfort; helping us thru situations we got ourselves into simply because we did not heed to Your voice. 

Heavenly Father….Thank You for all You’ve given me; Your Son, Jesus!!!!!  He is the best gift I’ve ever received!!!!!

Jesus….”Happy Birthday!”  You are My everything and I celebrate YOU!!!!!

Holy Spirit……You are and will always be….my Comforter!  I wouldn’t want to live my life without You!!!!

I am truly blessed and have all I need because I have my Father, His Son, Jesus and the Holy Spirit.  What more could I ask for?

Don't be robbed from the joy of giving this year! 

Take time and celebrate Jesus and be sure to share Him with those around you!

Be blessed my family & friends.  Praying you walk in the Lord’s total favor!

Love you all!

Cyndy

No comments:

Post a Comment