Thursday, August 29, 2013

MARY, MARY, QUITE CONTRARY! How does your garden grow?

Oh, if only our garden could grow as easily as saying a nursery rhyme. But we all know that’s not reality. It takes a lot of hard work to plant a successful garden. There have been times when I planted my garden and the ground wasn’t plowed sufficiently before planting the seeds and I didn’t take the time to pull all the weeds that were in the way either. I just sort of mulched it all together and pretended the weeds didn’t exist. After all, it was way too much work and I found every angle to cut corners just so I could get my garden planted. I counted on the rain to water my garden and simply forgot to check the moisture on the soil when it was scorching hot outside. Yet, I couldn’t wait for the “fruit of my labor” to start paying off. What a big, big, mistake! It wasn’t long before the weeds took over and choked most of my beautiful tomato plants; and what wasn’t choked out by weeds was all dried up from lack of water. Needless to say, my garden barely produced any fruit that year. At the end of harvest time I reaped what I sowed, which was very little, simply because I chose to be lazy and take the easy way out.

Sounds a lot like the parable Jesus shares in Mark 4:3-8 (NKJV)  where He says, “Listen! Behold, a sower went out to sow.  And it happened, as he sowed, that some seed fell by the wayside; and the birds of the air came and devoured it. Some fell on stony ground, where it did not have much earth; and immediately it sprang up because it had no depth of earth. But when the sun was up it was scorched, and because it had no root it withered away. And some seed fell among thorns; and the thorns grew up and choked it, and it yielded no crop. But other seed fell on good ground and yielded a crop that sprang up, increased and produced: some thirtyfold, some sixty and some a hundred.”

And so it leaves the question in my mind, what happens with the seed (the Word of God) when I hear it preached? Do I allow it to go in one ear and out the other; allowing the birds of the air (Satan) to come and steal it away before it even has a chance to take root in my spirit man? Or does the Word appear to get into my spirit man only until an issue or crisis comes up; causing me to forget the scriptures when I need them the most? Has my life been so consumed with worldly things to the point that when God's Word attempts to take root, it quickly gets choked out by the weeds & thorns I have inside of me because of existing sin?

It’s so easy to take God’s Word for granted and twist it around to fit our own situations. I know; because I’m guilty of doing it myself; especially when I first decided to follow The Lord, over 30 years ago. Truth is; I was trying to find ways to justify my actions. But just because I twisted scripture in order to validate my choices didn’t change what God’s Word was saying to me. His Word remained the same; regardless of how I choose to apply it to my life. Hebrews 13:8 (NIV)Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.”

Take a moment now; search your heart and ask yourself, “How does my garden grow? Am I applying God’s Word in my life? Are the seeds that have been planted in my spirit man being watered so that they can grow, or have they been choked out by the choices I’ve made along the way?" Don’t’ lose hope in what the Holy Spirit reveals.  Simply start pulling the weeds and get rid of them completely.

Trust the Holy Spirit to reveal truth to you along the way and be open to His direction. There may be thistles that need to be uprooted; something that appears to be ok; but has jagged edges that could ultimately destroy your crops. When the good seed (God's Word) starts to grow in you, you will reap a harvest in due season.  Be patient and trust the Lord! Don’t let the birds of the air (Satan), to steal your harvest!

And remember –
If you find it’s necessary to twist a scripture and maneuver it around your particular situation in hopes it justifies you, a loved one or friend, you are most likely heading towards sin if not already in the midst of it. I can’t suggest strong enough that you stop and consider maneuvering your situation around until it lines up with the Word of God instead! It's important you understand you can’t expect God's total peace, blessings & favor if you don’t heed to the voice & direction of the Holy Spirit.
It’s that simple folks!

Be blessed my family & friends. Lifting you up in prayer and standing in agreement that as you seek His perfect will for your life, the Lord will pour out His favor to overflowing!
Love you all!
Cyndy

 

No comments:

Post a Comment