Monday, April 2, 2012

Does Your Faith Teeter Totter Up and Down?

Remember growing up; playing on a teeter totter with your siblings or friends?  We would spend a long time going up & down; taking turns being the one at the top and eventually being at the bottom. Every now & then, if a kid was ornery enough & capable, they would sit at the bottom of the teeter totter holding the other person up in the air; at least until the one at the bottom decided to jump off quickly, causing the person at the top to come crashing down.  (At least that’s the way we used to play. Not a good thing!  LOL) 
What about our faith?  Does it tend to bounce up & down depending on the severity of our problem?  In all the years of being a Christ follower, it’s been my experience that we all struggle with the lack of faith in God at one time or another. But why do we; especially when many of us desire to trust Him?  What is hindering our faith from growing and taking God at His word?  I know for myself, there are times that my human mind just can’t grab a hold of how big God really is and sometimes my situation seems impossible to fix.  But then, I’m reminded of what God’s word says in Luke 1:37(NLT) “For nothing is impossible with God.” The question is, “Do I believe it?  I find that when I stay diligent in reading God’s Word and enter into a daily fellowship with Him, my faith is stronger.  However, at times when fear grips my heart and I’m struggling to trust Him, it tends to be at a time when I’ve lost my focus on His direction and have not been in daily fellowship with Him.  Depression & discouragement set in and I seem to lose all hope.  Then it’s an uphill battle trying to see where I went wrong. Truth is; those are the times I’ve been spiritually lazy and desperately in need of getting my daily devotional time back on track with the Lord; right where it belongs! I find it’s the only way to stay connected with Him! If I want to get back on track, I need to heed to God’s Word where it says in Romans 10:17 (NKJV), “So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.”  Staying in God’s Word, being fed spiritually in church and communicating directly with the Lord all work together in helping my faith to grow strong. 
Unfortunately, there are some that choose to be spiritually lazy; simply because it seems like the easier path to take.  If our lives are consumed with the cares of this world; be it relationships, work, TV, gaming, you name it; just about anything that would consume our time, it hinders our time with the Lord and we become spiritually lazy.  The end result is the need for constant encouragement from others 24/7 and ultimately the need to depend on them to pray on our behalf.  Just to be clear, there is nothing wrong with partnering with other believers & coming into agreement for our situations to be resolved.  As a matter of fact, God’s Word tells us to join others in agreement in Matthew 18:19-20 (NLT) “I also tell you this: If two of you agree here on earth concerning anything you ask, my Father in heaven will do it for you.  For where two or three gather together as my followers, I am there among them.”  However, when we expect others to carry the load while we choose to sit back and do nothing; no praying, no fasting; no desire to know God personally, it is a problem.  We end up putting our faith in the faith of other believers instead of exercising our faith in trusting God; the ONLY ONE that knows & understands exactly what we need; the ONLY ONE that has the answer to our problems.   Let’s face it folks, being committed to a daily prayer time and striving to follow God’s direction takes commitment on our part; it doesn’t just happen because we want it too. It happens only when we choose be committed to growing our faith on a daily basis.
The Holy Spirit revealed an interesting perspective to me regarding this clip art. Look at the faces on Winnie the Pooh, Eeyore, Tigger & Rabbit.  They appear paralyzed and full of fear, while Heffalump sits at the bottom holding them up with every ounce of strength possible.  The same is true about the believer with a lot of faith.  Seldom do we know the load they are carrying; their own burdens & other believer’s burdens too.    They are actually the one at the bottom of the teeter totter, using every ounce of strength & faith within themselves to hold us up when we choose to be spiritually lazy. When fear grips your heart, remember what God says in Psalm 56:3-4 (NKJV), “Whenever I am afraid, I will trust in You. In God (I will praise His word), In God I have put my trust; I will not fear. What can flesh do to me?” 

Simply put; trust God to meet your needs; not people.  Don’t put your faith in others that can grow weary and possibly jump off the “teeter totter” because you’ve gotten too heavy to carry; or you might come crashing down.  Instead, put your faith in the only One that has the ability to hold you up; the only One that knows your need and knows what is best for you; Jesus.  
It’s that simple folks!
Be blessed my family & friends!  Walk in the Lord’s total favor!
Love you all!
Cyndy

No comments:

Post a Comment