Friday, March 1, 2013

Not Even a Stench of Smoke

Back in December, my husband came home and sadly shared with me that in mid-February, the factory where he worked would be closing its doors.  This was the third factory he worked at since 2005 that ended up closing up shop and my heart just broke for him.  All I could think of was, Oh God!  Not again!  Although I am normally an optimistic person, it took everything within me to stay hopeful; especially around my husband, who, by nature, is typically pessimistic.  And to be honest....there were many days I reminded the Lord of our faithfulness to Him regarding tithe & offerings and His promise to meet our needs.  Regardless of what February had in store, one thing we both knew and agreed on was the fact that we needed to remain faithful to the Lord.
And as luck would have it, February 2nd he received a call and was told he was done working as of that day.  They were kind enough to offer him a severance package.  Although small, we were grateful that they had offered him anything at all.  

Thankfully, a few job suggestions from various friends & coworkers came our way.  As his resume was being sent out, we prayed & asked God to open the door that needed to open and close anything that needed to be closed. 
Then one day as I was talking with a friend at church, I mentioned that he lost his job and without thinking twice, I blurted out that he would never smell the stench of unemployment this time around.  And when I realized what I had said, I was a bit stunned to be honest.  But then I realized the Lord was showing me that He already had a plan.  We just needed to trust Him.  I soon found myself declaring it to my husband & family members. 

When we read the story in Daniel 3 NLT about Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego and how they refused to bow down to King Nebuchadnezzar, it blows me away when I picture how the Lord rescued them out of the fiery furnace.  We are told that King Nebuchadnezzar was so angry that he commanded the soldiers to bound & thrown all three of them into a furnace seven times hotter than usual.   It was so hot that the flames killed the soldiers as they threw them in.   And yet the bible tells us that the fire did not harm Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego’s bodies; their hair was not singed; their robes were not scorched, and there was no smell of fire on them.  That’s right folks….Not even a stench of smoke was on them!  Whew!  Talk about a walk of faith!
Let me encourage you when I tell you that the severance package my husband received ended up being more than enough to sustain us until God opened another door.   My husband was out of work for three weeks and just started another job in another factory this past Monday. Filing for unemployment never came to pass.
And in the words of King Nebuchadnezzar, “Praise be to the God of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, who has sent his angel and rescued his servants! They trusted in him and defied the king’s command and were willing to give up their lives rather than serve or worship any god except their own God.  Daniel 3:28 NLT
What do you need to trust God for today? 
Do you need a job?  Remain faithful no matter what your circumstance may look like.  Trust the God of our salvation. 
Is it a physical need?  Keep your eyes fixed on our Great Physician; the one that made you in His image.

Maybe it’s a fresh start with God.  Simply as ask the Lord to forgive you of your sins and invite Him to be the Lord and Savior of your life.   He’s knocking at the door of your heart.  Open it and let Him in.

The god of this world (Satan) would rather see you dwell on discouragement & despondency instead of dependence on the Lord & expectation in what He has in store for you. 

“For the Lord God is our sun and our shield.  He gives us grace and glory. The Lord will withhold no good thing from those who do what is right.” Psalm 84:11 NLT

Be encouraged!  He has not forgotten you!

Be blessed my family & friends.   I pray you walk in the Lord’s total favor!

Love you all!
Cyndy

"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Isaiah 40:28-31(NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment